Wednesday, August 18, 2010

With Sharp Pointy Fangs!

"Make friends with pain and you will never be alone"

- Ken Clouber

Not a lot to report this week.  Sticking to my routine of 5-7 miles a day during the week before I start getting mentally ready for a nice long run this weekend.  It's been raining off and on  all week so I'm expecting some mud tomorrow as well as some of that good ol' Texas humidity.  Gotta love it when you start sweating just lacing up your sneakers.

Debating on whether or not I want to take a stab at an 18k trail run that will be this coming Saturday.  I'm muling it over as I've never ridden or run the trail, have heard it's VERY challenging, to the point that one of my racing buddies has advised that I not bike the trail alone in case something were to happen (in the realm of falling off my bike and breaking my collarbone or getting mauled by a rabid bunny), and that on foot there is a lot of vertical climbing involved.  The negatives are minimum, in my mind, as I think it would be a welcome challenge since I know nothing of the trail and will just have to prepare for the absolute worst.  Plus, with all the rain that's been forcasted for the week, it would be great to slog in the mud.

At home, my son seems to think that afternoon naps have become so passe and has begun just staying up.  Imagine someone who's not much of a morning person, hasn't had their coffee, and has been asked to solve a complicated mathematical equation but then they're told the can only use an abacus.  Now imagine that same person, only a couple feet tall, unable to enunciate past simple grunts and the occasional cry, AND every time you turn your back the dog licks them in the face.  Pure crankitude.  Not a huge deal, I tend to just lay on the floor in the middle of the living room while he scoots around and climbs over-top me like some sort of mini-mountain while also fending off the small dog.  Thank god for coffee.

No comments: