Sunday, August 15, 2010

Slow and Steady

"Just keep pumping your legs.  Don't ever stop." - Joshua Crixell, advice given during my first 12-hour bike race.
Joshua won first place in single speed men's and overall men's. This ain't mountain biking, but I think the saying still applies.


Didn't make it out for my long run yesterday as I slept in, when I set the alarm clock I set it for 5:15 PM and not AM so it was a bit of a shock when I woke up at 9:30.  Someting about cussing up a storm, "You were all "GD Mother-F'n-A"", or at least that's how it was told to me by my sig other. 

16.58 miles in 3h:51m:27s Burned 2765kcal
Today, I did make it out to the usual spot and hit the usual loop.  I only intended to run for about 3 hours but found my first wall right at that point (12 maybe 13 miles), rather than fold it up I kept going, I only had intended to run about 3 hours in the first place.  It took about another twenty minutes to pass through the haze.  Those twenty minutes were filled with a lot of stumbling, I seemed to find every root, every rock, every dip on the trail.

Blood and Thunder - Mastodon  Talk about lighting a fire under my ass.  Around the time I hit the wall, this popped up on my playlist, sweeeetness.

I really wish I could have shot for 20 miles, but I was low on water and was out of food, unless I had a decent stock of either, I don't know how much farther I would have made it.

No comments: