Friday, August 27, 2010

The Long Road Ahead

“Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.”
-Tom Robbins
"I just don't understand why.  It can't be good for your body, you're not getting anything out of it.  I just don't get it."  She's at least promised to be tolerant if not patient. 

It's getting harder and harder to explain to my sig other as to why I go out.  We had a brief discussion about plans for this coming weekend, and it's not that I'm revolving my entire weekend around my run, but I know I need to smartly hash out my long days in order to be properly prepared for November.  Now, I do try to get out as early as possible, waking up at 4am to get to the trails by 5 if possible, which of course is also outlandish in her eyes.  Weekends are for sleeping in.  Weekends are for rest.  Telling her that on my longer days, I'll push myself to no less than 8 hours nearly blew her mind.

I told her that this is just something I thoroughly enjoy, and so I'll deal with the irritated attitude as it comes since the benefits seriously outweigh the negativity.  To put into words what I'm feeling as I'm running and finishing, be it in a race or just training, is impossible.  It's like explaining astro-physics in Dutch to a death-mute guinna pig.

6.12 miles
Took a different route today to mix things up.  Felt bored with the usual 4-6mile loop so I thought I should find another.  This one varies a lot more and keeps things much more interesting.  Quite a few more variations in elevation, twists, and ground cover.  Will have to start replacing my usual loop for this one on long days as it seems to be a little closer to the race's course than what I was running, it being a mid-to-advanced level mountain bike course. 

Two injuries I need to watch.  First, I landed on a rock wrong and bruised the entire bottom of my right foot where I land and push my weight off from.  I can still run on it but it's tender as hell.  Two, I tripped over some tree roots running up a hill and landed super hard against the ground chest first.  It doesn't hurt horribly bad, but breathing deep does feel slightly uncomfortable.  Hopefully running won't exacerbate either problem.

No comments: