Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"These aren't the trails your're looking for."


I'm currently trying to find some new areas to tear up some trail.


Now there's nothing wrong with Walnut Creek Park (where I usually run), I mean there are PLENTY of side-trails and combinations of them to make every day something a little different, I just think it's time to find some new scenery so as to avoid burn-out in the up-and-coming months.


The trail I found was supposed to be a 12-14 mile single track with plenty of elevation changes and terrain types to keep me sated for a quite some time, and on top of that, only about five minutes from where I work.

Of course the directions to the trail head were craptacular, there is no address to speak of, just an unmarked parking lot within walking distance of the trail. I did end up finding an unmarked parking lot within walking distance of a trail, though not THE trail.


Along the first circuit, a few things made me start to wonder if I was in the wrong place. Firstly, all the left-hand turn-offs that should have fed the flow along the main loop were dead-ends, according to the map of the trail I found online right-hand turns were all cut-backs to get back to the trail-head quicker. At least every dead-end was somewhat scenic. Most of the trail followed along a riverbed that ran alongside a vertical rock wall. With how high the wall reached, the sound of the water, and the coolness and near claustrophobia of the surrounding foilage, it felt was if I wasn't anywhere near the heart of the city.

About a mile into the run, I found my pace and was feeling like I could run all morning, I actually thought maybe I had read the map wrong and was running the trail backwards when I saw the first "Out -->" sign.

"There's no way this spits me back out near the trail-head, it's barely been a mile and a half..."

Exactly 1.7miles in, and there I was, back where I started.

No use in bitching/moaning about being in the wrong place, I ended up kicking out almost six miles. The trail's elevation changed about 100-150 feet, so it ended up being a good run either way.

If I can't find the actual trials I'm looking for, at least this will end up being another good stand-by.

No comments: