Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Slithery Serpents Startling Sidewalkers

Brushy Creek trail, where I predominately do all of my training during the week, is right across the street from our apartment. It consists of a half paved half dirt trail that goes for 3.2 miles one way of paved, and at least 6 the other of dirt (I haven't run it all the way to the end in that direction yet to get an accurate mileage, but that's going to be resolved this weekend). The majority of the trail is in the shade but can grow pretty damn humid as there is also a creek that it follows. There are a few offshoots that I've seen from the paved section that consist of woodchippy like paths, but I haven't checked those out yet (that's for tomorrow mornings run).

Along the sides of the paved section of the trail, for about three to four feet on either side, there's grass and hard packed soil (thank you Texas heat) before the treeline starts. Usually, the grass is anywhere from ankle to just below knee high. Running through it is a simple pleasure, especially during early morning runs when the grass is still wet from the night before.



Recently, The Powers That Be, mowed all along the sides, which wasn't a big deal, until I began to notice just how many snakes I've been missing. All this time I've been truckin along in utter bliss of the slithery suckers that have been just beside me. Normally I don't mind, coexisting with Mama Nature ispart of the package, but when I step up on a snake at the last minute and it's as thick as my wrist and as long as my arm, then I have a few issues.


The second snake of note that I ran into was farther down the trail. Some walkers had stopped about 10 feet from it and were looking and pointing in it's direction, they were so transfixed on the sun bather that they were startled when I was almost upon them. Normally I take an ear bud out on such occasions just in case, and as I did they warned me. "You should stop and let him get off the trail, he might jump at you."


After a lenghty discussion where I tried to explain that he might be hanging around for a while as he was taking in a little sun, I just gave up and grabbed the longest stick I could find and nudged the little (I use that sarcastically) guy off the trail.


The remaining miles went by without as much excitement, but it was nice to play the hero and this definitely boosted my mood for the duration of the run.

No comments: