Monday, August 10, 2009

Moonlit Paths of Brushy Creek

Today I stepped back onto the trail following a week long sabbatical. The low mileage of the previous week aided in the feeling of euphoria straight out of the gate.

It was 5:30ish once I stepped outside. The moon was 3/4 full and helped give the dirt of the trail a faint glow against the black of the trees surrounding it. I kept my iPod off just to hear my breathing, footfalls, and the animals in the brush that I startled with all my constant noise. My flashlight mounted on my water bottle, cut through the dark and made every shadow larger and created a run that was eerie but exciting. As I got closer to the 183 cutoff of the trail head, the steady swath of cars of the busy highway swam on the night air and sounded more like a ghostly being. I ran hard, and loved every minute of it.

I explored the break off trails, the ones made of wood instead of dirt, but sadly they only lead to neighborhood entry points, nothing too exciting. Though, the views from the entry points were a nice change. The 183 cutting through the green of the trails and the surrounding hill country. A gray ribbon going on into the distance.

No comments: